Chủ Nhật, 1 tháng 3, 2009

Friendship's Joy


Life interfaces with life. Every day we come in contact with people who make our lives more enjoyable. Relationships give us pleasure and joy. Most of us are creatures of routine, and these routines give us stability and security. If you are like me, you look forward to the people you meet routinely as you go through the flow of your life. I'd like you to meet one of my friends, Vi. She has her hair done at the salon each week. I'm not there weekly, but I always go at the same time on the same day of the week. Thus, I have come to know and appreciate Vi. She has an infectious smile and always shares a joke or two. We've even had lunch together and I have enjoyed listening to her life memories. She's been widowed for thirty years, but when you talk to her, the depth of her love for her husband strikes you. She speaks of him so fondly and as though he's been gone just a few short days. A few weeks ago she celebrated her 90th birthday and we all sang to her, brought her gifts, and enjoyed birthday cake together. Vi's friendship solidifies my belief that friendship is not dependant at all upon being the same age or being at the same place in life. Her friendship is a valued treasure.

While I am sharing, please indulge me as I continue with a funny story about her hairdresser. Heidi provides her with great service each week, treating her as a grandmother. She is one of the anchors in Vi's life. Well, years ago when Heidi was a high school student, she was in my class. My classroom had a dressing room with a large mirror at one end. Heidi would frequently disappear from class to go comb her hair or apply more make-up. I remember going in to the dressing room to get her, saying "Heidi, this is not cosmetology class. Come sit down at your desk again". She loves that story and we laugh about it together, as she eventually did go to cosmetology school and is now a gifted hairdresser. She gives me credit for planting the idea in her heart.

People make life meaningful. Enjoyment, security, and warmth result when we interface with others in a friendly way each day. I'm so glad to be able to interface with you as well! Blog friends are just as awesome as 90-year-old friends from the beauty salon or former students who like to tease.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...